I Want to Do What You Do!
On Speaking, Training and Being a Part of the Wickman Family By Mike Pallin
Every class I do, at least one person comes up to me and says, “I want to do what you do.” (Which is saying something because I've been at this a very long time!) My response is always, “I love my job! Because it’s not a job to me.” I love what I do and that really is a powerful ingredient to success. (You know that old quote about doing what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life? It’s true!)
For me this was a calling. I suppose for personal reasons. I ran into a lot of untrained agents in my time as an agent and I vowed that if I could ever make a difference – I would. Having come into real estate from a sales industry – I knew how important the right kind of training was and I guess I was a little surprised at how many folks were failing. Good people, great intentions – just people who had never had the right kind of training. Then I met Floyd Wickman. From that day on, I knew this is what I wanted to do. “What a relief!” I thought. This guy has it already figured out.
So I thought I’d share my thoughts with you this week on why I do what I do and answered the call to be a Floyd Wickman Trainer and Speaker. (I think my fellow trainers here will back me up!)
1. Floyd’s already done the heavy lifting. He’s figured it out. Created the turn-key system. Delivered what works so there’s no reinventing the wheel. Complete with step one, step two, step three, etc. His program shows real world results, in numbers, in stats, in the stories and careers of sales professionals around the world. I can’t tell you as a speaker what it means to have that in place. It’s huge!
2. I get to work with Floyd. When he was dubbed the “most trusted name in real estate training” -- I thought, “Wow!” So true. There is a lot of extraordinary about Floyd. He is a mentor, a leader, a inspiration and I’m blessed to call him a friend. I think of the thousands of speakers in the world and very few have figured out not only how to create a system or program to teach – but how to duplicate themselves and give other speakers the opportunity to follow in their footsteps in the same way Floyd has. I get to stand next to that and to me, that’s no small thing.
3. My fellow trainers and team members are my brothers and sisters. We all smile when we call Floyd ‘Dad’ – and that’s kind of the way it is with us. We’re family. As close as you can be, with a trust and tight-knit core that is extraordinary. Very few organizations in the world have that kind of a community among their team – but we do. It’s a place to belong. And everyone who’s ever been part of our family will always be close to us. Part of us. There’s a lot to be said for that kind of bond.
4. We’re true to our Core Values. How many companies in today’s world pay lip service to their values? Not us. We are dialed into our core values in everything we do. Every decision we make. Every shift or change. Every person we teach. Every time we step on a stage. We live the Get by Giving philosophy and we keep connected to our core values every day. To me, that’s powerful.
5. We’re more than trainers—we’re SPEAKERS. Why does that make a difference? Because speakers treat an audience better than a trainer or a facilitator. Speakers understand that every time they step on a stage or get before a group of people they must do more than just TEACH. They must TEACH, ENTERTAIN and MOTIVATE. Floyd made that commitment long ago when he began as a trainer that he would fine tune his skills so that every single member of every audience would get the benefit of a platform speaker. We've never stopped delivering on that tradition. The really cool thing is – that for speakers, there can be a lot of stress. Where is my next audience coming from? Will the room be right? Will people show up? Will they enjoy the material? Will it make a difference? The great part about what we do is that we deliver a seven session program, so for seven weeks – all the questions above are answered for us. No stress. That’s a pretty amazing feeling I can tell you
And it’s for all of these reasons and so much more that we do this. My ‘brothers and sisters” and I. Is it work? Sure. Like anything else in this business you have to prospect. Build relationships. Cultivate clients. Deliver. But I wouldn't trade any of it for anything in the world. So when folks come up to me and say, “Mike, I want to do what you do.” I smile – because I get it. It’s a terrific journey.
If you've ever thought those same words and think being a speaker and trainer and changing the lives and careers of sales professionals might be something you want to do as well – give me a call at 734-637-4030. I’m happy to speak with you and share what we’re all about.